Monday 5 May 2014

What to eat when you can't eat anything - Week 1

I have just completed Week 1 of my new intolerance regime, and I didn't find it TOO difficult. I haven't really noticed any changes with my health yet though, my energy levels are still low.

The hardest part was having to prepare all my lunches from scratch. The only pre-made soup I can find that I can eat is http://www.justfood.ie/moroccan-chickpea.html but I'm saving that for emergencies. (It tastes lovely, but I can't eat it too often). It's also difficult to find foods that I can eat out so I'll be eating at home a LOT for the next few months and only meeting friends for drinks or coffee :(

Here are some examples of the meals I had. I hope you can tell that I'm not going hungry at all :)


Breakfast:
I tend to have the same few breakfasts all the time and most of them are easily adaptable to my new eating plan:

1. Granola with Koko coconut milk  (http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1315/crunchy-granola-with-berries-and-cherries)
2. Oat smoothie: I just blend up some porridge oats, flax seeds, banana, peanut butter and Koko coconut milk in my blender and drink it like a smoothie. It's simple, tasty, adaptable and takes no time to prepare! 
3. Tofu scramble (there are a million tofu scramble recipes out there on the internet, you just need to find one that suits your palate!) 

Lunches:
1. Fat Around The Middle pancakes with blueberries.
These are really filling, and if you can cook them up the night before. Recipe available from: http://glenvillenaturalhealth.com/lucy/weightloss/oaty-banana-pancakes/
2. I also threw  together a tomato, lentil and basil soup which I ate with bread, hummus, salad. 

I really miss having cheese at lunchtime as it's so easy and filling!

Dinners:
1. Spinach, lentil, cauliflower dhansak with rice (From the Cafe Fresh Cookbook)
2. Cooked baby potato and shredded smoked salmon baked with white sauce made with onion, and dill. Served with roasted herbed veg.
4. http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1658649/cajun-spiced-salmon with lemon parsley potatoes and stir-fried garlicked kale

I don't bother with dessert often but I made this and it was a hit with all who tried it. 

1. And here is an AMAZING dessert I made with the leftover half can of coconut milk I opened for the Nigel Slater recipe:  http://cooktj.com/node/132 A coconut milk chocolate mousse. It's so simple tasty and filling, I think a few chocolate chips or cacao nibs would have added a nice texture to it. 

Hopefully next week will bring some dramatic health changes and some new recipes!



No comments:

Post a Comment