Wednesday 16 July 2014

Courgettes and more

If like me you try to eat seasonally and on top of that grow your own vegetables this is most definitely courgette time!I decided to try a 7 day recipe diary and record the results. I'm 5 days into it now and the feedback has been amazing.
Sometimes we get bogged down in 'audience reach' or 'facebook insights' to name a few of the marketing boxes we have to constantly tick but at the end of the day its all about the food. Generally everyone loves to be shown easy, tasty ways to cook and eat their food. We have to eat so we might as well do the best we can.
The Institute of Functional Medicine stated recently that 'for the first time in history, more people will die from the effects of obesity than from starvation worldwide'. You dont have to be a cordon blue chef to eat and buy healthy food. As a single mother of two people always me ask how I can feed us so  well and not need to break the bank to do it. And yes, I may be a chef and nutritionist but most of what I cook comes from my garden or local grocer. I dont buy in bulk so waste is kept to a minimum. The internet is a great way to find new recipes or ideas, you can even use websites like bbc.co.uk/food to key in some ingredients you may have left in the fridge and in seconds you have loads of ideas and off you go.
I came across a great facebook page the other day called 'Slow Cooker Recipes 4 Families' with lots of pictures and tasty dishes-I never knew you could do so much with a slow cooker!
If you are busy then cook in batches and freeze some, the nutritional value is kept as long as you eat the food within 3 months...so I guess what I am saying is to avoid the obesity trap less is more.
Man cannot live on courgettes alone but each of the recipes I did this week took no more than 10-20 minutes to do so give homecooking the love it deserves.You never know, we might see you on masterchef in a few years...

No comments:

Post a Comment