Monday 21 July 2014

What to eat when you can't eat anything - Week 11


I can't believe I only have a couple more weeks to go before I can start reintroducing foods back into my diet. I'm definitely going to leave both dairy products and wheat as the last stuff I reintroduce as I have a feeling that they're the big two that were having a negative effect on me. I'm also going to keep up the smoothies as much as possible, it's great knowing you've eaten at least 2 servings of fruit and veg before you even leave the house in the morning.There are foods I'm definitely going to cut back on though, I really don't crave many of the foods I've been off for the last 2.5 months. It's so interesting how the human body can break any habit, if given enough time and incentive! I still miss my crisps though ;-)
I haven't been cooking much these days, the weather has been so warm and muggy that I'm really not in the mood for cooking. I've mostly been relying on the trusty bbcgoodfood website for meals that are quick and easy.

Breakfast

I've just been taking advantage of all the great deals on fruit and veg around the city and making tons of smoothies for my breakfasts. 

Lunch

1. I thought this Puy Lentils with Smoked Tofu dish sounded really interesting and filling. But I think all my substitutions might have ruined it. All the smoked tofu I could find had wheat-based soy sauce in the ingredients so I just marinaded plain tofu in Liquid Smoke and added extra to the dressing along with extra smoked tofu. I also replaced the balsamic vinegar with apple cider vinegar. Unfortunately it didn't taste very exciting. But I have to give it high marks for being so healthy.http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/puy-lentils-smoked-tofu

Dinner

1. I found this recipe for Summer Courgette Risotto and thought it sounded much easier than a regular risotto as you don't have to keep adding stock gradually and stir for ages. I was right, it was tasty and it made quite a large batch. 
2. On the second day I felt it needed some kind of protein accompaniment so I made this simple Rosemary Lentil dish to eat with it (I had a lot of fresh rosemary to use up, I had half a tin of lentils left to use and I thought the flavours would complement each other. This a also great dish to have cold as part of lunch even, but it gets a bit boring on its own.
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/843645/rosemary-and-garlicky-lentils

 
3. I also made this Cauliflower and Chickpea Coconut Curry during the week just to use up a load of vegetables (and also as many of my meals this week were protein or carbohydrate based). I added some broccoli, bok choy and courgette as I had them in the fridge. It reminded me of the Nigel Slater curry I made a when I first started this blog, but this was less work. It was REALLY tasty.
http://ohmyveggies.com/recipe-cauliflower-chickpea-coconut-curry/(photo taken from the recipe website)

4. This Smoked Haddock Gratin was one of the easiest dishes ever. I just left out the cheese, and used soy cream instead of regular cream, and it was ready to go in the oven in about 10 minutes. I also chopped up courgette, peppers, red onion and sweet potates and roasted them in the oven at the same time - easy dinner with minimal washing up. It works with any kind of smoked fish, I used smoked coley. I'll be making this one again and again! www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2155651/smoked-haddock-gratin-
Snack 
These Granola Bars were a great snack when I knew  was going to be working late. I just used whatever nuts, seeds and dried fruit I had in the house (mixed dried fruit including cherries, sunflower and sesame seeds, flax seeds, walnuts, peanuts and brazil nuts. I also added some plain chocolate chips to make them more of a treat. They tasted great, really filling and really healthy. http://ohsheglows.com/2014/05/20/feel-good-hearty-granola-bars/#ixzz35TmCDyE9


No comments:

Post a Comment